social icons

Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Blogger Email Rss

Search

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Guest Post: Author Barbara Kyle...Entrapped

Hello everyone, I want to introduce you to author Barbara Kyle. She will be guest posting today and discussing her literary journey as well as her personal experience with traditional and self-publishing.


She is the author of the Tudor-era “Thornleigh” novels including The Queen’s Lady, The King’s Daughter, The Queen’s Captive, and The Queen’s Gamble, all published internationally. Barbara previously won acclaim for her contemporary thrillers under pen name ‘Stephen Kyle,’ including Beyond Recall (a Literary Guild Selection), After Shock and The Experiment. Over 400,000 copies of her books have been sold. Her latest thriller, under her own name, is Entrapped. Barbara is passionate about helping emerging writers. She has taught her “Writers Boot Camp” for the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies, and is known for her dynamic workshops for many writers organizations. She offers twice-yearly Master Classes that focus on work-shopping each participant’s novel-in-progress. Her popular series of videos “Writing Fiction That Sells” offers ten hours of tips, techniques, and inspiration, and is available online via her website. Before becoming an author Barbara enjoyed a twenty-year acting career in television, film, and stage productions in Canada and the U.S.



Your Literary Journey and How Entrapped Came to Be

The revolution of e-books makes this an exciting time to be a writer. As the technology changes, so does every aspect of the publishing business. But one thing that remains constant is peoples desire for stories. Thank goodness for that!

Ive published seven novels with three traditional publishers: Penguin USA, Warner Books (now called Grand Central Publishing), and Kensington Books. Ive had the longest relationship with Kensington, who published my four historical novels set in Tudor England: The Queens Lady, The Kings Daughter, The Queens Captive, and my latest release The Queens Gamble. These books follow the adventures of a middle-class family, the Thornleighs, through three tumultuous reigns and some of the most harrowing events of English history. Kensington recently signed me to write three more books in this “Thornleigh” series. Im delighted with my relationship with Kensington , and all my novels with them are available as print books and as e-books.

However, for my new thriller, Entrapped, I was eager to go the independent route to see how this book might make it on its own in the brave new world of e-publishing. Entrapped is based on a true story about a farmer in Alberta, Canada, who happened to settle on land above one of the biggest natural gas deposits in North America. Soon his property was surrounded by the rigs and gas-flaring stacks of oil companies.  He watched his livestock sicken and die from the poisoned air and water.  He feared for his family’s life. But his complaints were ignored by the company executives and by government, so he took matters into his own hands by sabotaging the oil companies’ rigs. He eventually went to jail. Using this sabotage theme, I created a fictional tale, Entrapped. It’s the story of Liv Gardner, an ambitious young oil executive intent on stopping farmer Tom Wainwright who is sabotaging her rigs after a spill of lethal “sour” gas poisoned his wife. Desperate to save the company she built, Liv plants evidence to frame Tom. But when the evidence is used to indict him for a murder he didn’t commit, only Liv can save him.

Thrillers are about high stakes, countdowns, and suspense, and Entrapped delivers all these, but I like to use the thriller genre to explore complex themes as well, and to carry important issues to the widest possible audience. Call it Deep Genre. And no issue is more pressing  than the environmental crisis we’ve created. I believe that the best way to understand it is to see it played out by characters we care deeply about, characters thrown into terrible dilemmas in which they are forced to take risks and make hard choices, characters who illuminate the gripping question we end up asking ourselves: If I were in that situation, what would I do?

In Entrapped, my characters on both sides of the power divide confront one another and are forced to make the hardest choices they’ll ever make. That’s not only compelling drama, it’s also what all of us have to face, as a society, in coming to terms with changing our environmentally destructive habits. Charles Dickens knew this when he wrote his novels to hold a mirror up to the horrors that working class people suffered under unfettered capitalism in nineteenth century London. In our time, John Grisham has often done the same with thrillers about the “little guy” confronting some form of corporate bully: in The Rainmaker it was the immensely powerful insurance industry, and in The Street Lawyer it was mega-developers who force homeless people to their death. Like Dickens, Grisham uses the thriller genre to say what needs to be said.
I wrote Entrapped to deliver the same kind of conflict, one between the powerful world of Big Oil versus the lone individual pushed to the limit of endurance and taking on the giant. I hope readers will enjoy the tale.

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you Barbara for taking the time to share your journey literary journey. Wishing you the best in all your future endeavors.

You can find and visit Barbara Kyle at:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

To purchase her book:
Entrapped at Amazon.com
Entrapped at Barnes and Nobles.com

Juniper Grove is having a giveaway for Barbara's Kyle's book Entrapped and The Queen's Gamble. Click Juniper Grove to enter today.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lena's Ramblings

My photo
I am a writer, filmmaker, wife and a mom of five beautiful, intelligent, quirky kids. This blog is for writers, aspiring writers, filmmakers and movie lovers. Bringing you my favorite books, films and photos, as well as giveaways and updates on my journey. I'm currently in the process of producing my first short film from my collection of short stories titled, If I Had My Way. The first story to be filmed will be Tandarin Drive. My award winning book, If I Had My Way, is available now. You can purchase a copy at Amazon.com and BN.com. You may contact me via email at: blog@lenasledge.com

Join My Other Fantabulous Followers!

If I Had My Way

If I Had My Way
Available Now! Please Get Your Copy Today!

Popular Posts

Blogs I Love and Frequently Read