social icons

Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Blogger Email Rss

Search

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

We're All in This Together by Jessica Scott

Today we have a guest post by author, Jessica Scott. She has written two contemporary romance novels, titled Because of You and Until There Was You. Please help me welcome Jessica Scott as she shares her wisdom on how we as authors, bloggers and readers can hang in there together in this literary world. Make sure and leave her a comment. :-)


Bio: Jessica Scott is a career army officer, mother of two daughters, three cats, three dogs and two escape-artists hamsters, wife to a career NCO and wrangler of all things stuffed and fluffy. She has commanded two companies, served in Germany, Korea, Fort Hood and Iraq, and been lucky not to get fired. She is a terrible cook and an even worse housekeeper, but she’s a pretty good shot with her assigned weapon. Somehow, her children are pretty well adjusted and her husband still loves her, despite burned water and a messy house.
You can find her online:


It seems like every other week,  there has been a huge dustup between authors and bloggers or readers and authors or bloggers and readers. It’s rather sad and depressing because I think - or at least I’d like to think - that we’re all book people.

I’m an author but I’m a reader first and foremost. Nothing hurts my heart more than picking up a book I thought I’d love and having it lose my interests. But what do I gain by going on Goodreads or Amazon and telling the world how another author couldn’t write their way out of a paper bag? What I try to do instead is figure out what didn’t work for me. I don’t need to tear another author down because, here’s a little secret: we’re all crazy. :-) I don’t need to make another author crazier by telling people why I didn’t like their book. Posting something on goodreads is not the same as working with another author to beta read their stuff.

Constructive criticism vs public flogging. See the difference?

So in the interest of talking about something positive, let’s talk about what authors, readers and bloggers can do to work together to build a community around what we all love: books.

Authors:
The first thing we authors need to do is accept that everyone is not going to like our books. Nora Roberts said it best at RWA 10: Person A is going to love your book for the same reason Person B is going to want to burn it. Get over it (that was me not Nora). At the end of the day, don’t try to defend your book. It’s cool if people enjoy your book. If someone writes a review, feel free to like that review. But do not, I repeat do not, go on Goodreads, Amazon or any other site and take on readers.

Do, however, try to interact with your readers. Pick a forum. Pick an venue. But do something to interact with the people who buy your books. We’re not simply a means to a sale. We’re all people, looking for good stories to share.

Bloggers:
There is nothing better than finding a book blog that shares what they love about great books. A blog that helps foster community. If you like an author the best thing you can do is tell your friends because in the age of noise of scioal networks, the best way for authors to break out of the pack is to help them be heard.

Readers:
If you love an author, write them a note. Not everyone can answer an email but speaking for myself, when I get an email or a tweet or a facebook post, I do my best to answer it. It makes my day. Another great way to support your favorite authors: write a review. if you truly enjoyed a book, tell your friends. Share the good book awesomeness because ultimately, it’s what my friends tell me about a book that they enjoyed that makes me pick it up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jessica's current book Because of You is available now and her upcoming book, Until There Was You, is available October 8, 2012 and available for pre-order. Jessica is currently running a giveaway on her website for a $25 Amazon gift card and free signed copies of her books. Please stop by and enter TODAY! Click HERE to enter.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lena's Ramblings

My photo
I am a writer, filmmaker, wife and a mom of five beautiful, intelligent, quirky kids. This blog is for writers, aspiring writers, filmmakers and movie lovers. Bringing you my favorite books, films and photos, as well as giveaways and updates on my journey. I'm currently in the process of producing my first short film from my collection of short stories titled, If I Had My Way. The first story to be filmed will be Tandarin Drive. My award winning book, If I Had My Way, is available now. You can purchase a copy at Amazon.com and BN.com. You may contact me via email at: blog@lenasledge.com

Join My Other Fantabulous Followers!

If I Had My Way

If I Had My Way
Available Now! Please Get Your Copy Today!

Popular Posts

Blogs I Love and Frequently Read