social icons

Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Blogger Email Rss

Search

Monday, March 28, 2011

Interview with T.K. Thorne, author of Noah's Wife


I had the honor of meeting Ms. Teresa at the Alabama Conclave Writers Conference and she was one of the first people to greet and welcome me. Right then, I knew she had a generous and caring heart. So I wanted Ms. Thorne to be my first author interview for fiction. Her work is unique and in a category by itself. The depth and richness she gives to her work is in abundance and you can tell she has taken great care with her characters to make them believable.


Mrs. Thorne was so kind to answer a few questions regarding her novel and her writing. She has donated a free autographed copy of her book to one lucky person who comments on my blog in the comments sections at the end of the interview. Just tell us what you thought of the interview and you will be entered into the drawing. It's as simply as that. The contest drawing ends in 3 days, so good luck and please share the link and spread the word. I hope you enjoy the interview and we wish Mrs. Thorne the best in her future endeavors.

From Book Jacket:

Noah’s Wife is Na’amah, a beautiful young girl with Asperger Syndrome who wishes only to be a shepherdess on her beloved hills in ancient Turkey, a desire shattered by the hatred of her powerful brother, the love of two men, and a looming disaster that threatens her world.  Na’amah tells her story and sees the world through the unique lens of a condition known today as Asperger's Syndrome.  Her savant abilities and penchant to speak truth forces her down a dangerous path in an age of change--a time of challenge to the goddess' ancient ways, when cultures clash and the earth itself is unstable.  When foreign raiders kidnap Na’amah, her journey to escape and return home becomes an attempt to save her people from the disaster only she knows is coming.

The Biblical account of Noah's wife only gives us a nameless woman who bears Noah's children and is with him in the ark.  T.K. Thorne, an award winning author, has filled in the story with her imagination based on geological and archaeological evidence of a great flood in the Black Sea region 7,000 years ago.






1. Where did the inspiration for "Noah's Wife" come from?

I was looking for a topic and thought Sena Jeter Nashlund’s Ahab’s Wife was such a great idea—a story from the perspective of an unknown person about a really famous one.  I recently had a chance to speak with Ms. Nashlund and confessed I stole her concept.  She was very gracious and pleased that it worked for me.  (Isn’t it wonderful when writers help other writers?)

So with that idea in mind, I sat up straight when I heard a local poet, Irene Latham, read her poem, “Noah’s Wife.”  She prefaced the reading by telling us that in the Bible story of the flood, Noah’s wife is only very briefly mentioned and not even given a name.  That was an exciting moment (Can’t get more famous than Noah!) and I started researching a possible historical basis for the flood.  The clincher was discovering the geological and archaeological evidence about a great flood in the Middle East around 5500 BCE.  That gave me a date to work with and I began to play with the idea.  It took four years to write and research.



2. What genre would you classify your novel?

Primarily Noah’s Wife is an “alternative” story (It is fiction set in a historical context, and it is mostly generated from my imagination.)  That said, I tried to use all the Biblical names and follow the story from this angle:  What do I think might have really happened in that time/place without the overlay of moral/religious redacting that could have resulted in the story we have now?  It won ForeWord Review’s “Book of the Year” (2009) for Historical Fiction, so I feel pretty comfortable with that genre classification, although it has romantic elements, as well as adventure …and could fall into a literary genre too!


3. What would you like readers to get out of reading Noah's Wife?

I would primarily hope they, like me, would fall in love with the characters and feel as if they were transported back in time with them.  I’ve had many people tell me that the story they grew up with is now so much more real to them.  Like all good stories, there are multiple layers.  One of the most interesting aspects to me was learning about the historical roots of the divine feminine from which our patriarchal religious heritage grew.  Another layer is that my character, Na’amah, has a form of autism we (now) term “Asperger’s.”  I would love for my book to help open some understanding of people with that syndrome.

4. When did you begin writing?

My grandmother read to me when I was young and I learned to love books.  I wrote my first story at age ten…or at least part of a story.  It was about a girl who got lost in a forest looking for a magical fox.  I read it aloud to my parents.  My mother did the “encouraging parent thing” and praised me mightily.  My father said, “Where’s the end?”  From that day on, I always put an ending on my stories! 

My plans to be an astronaut didn’t pan out, so I had adventures by writing about them.  Then, on the way to becoming a social worker, I accidentally became a police officer.  (Too long a story for here.) That has been a rich source of experiences for me, and many find their way into my stories, including perspectives on human nature I might not have had growing up as a sheltered southern girl.


5. What is your writing process like? (Do you have a set time that you sit down and write or just write when the urge comes)

Because I have a full time job, I am mostly a weekend-warrior writer.  But the actual typing of the words is only part of the process.  When I am working on a project, I am thinking about it constantly—in the car on the way to work and back, while I am loading the dishwasher, or even in the shower.  I have to let my imagination go and put my characters in a situation, listen to what they have to say or do about it, work out the plot, etc. and then when I do sit down to write, it goes pretty quickly.  It’s when I haven’t done all the pre-work that sometimes I do the stare- at-the-white- page thing.

6. What are you currently working on and what can we expect from you in the future?

 
My work-in-progress is Angels at the Gate.  Like Noah’s Wife, it’s an alternative story, this one of Lot’s Wife. (Yep, she's the one who turns into a "pillar of salt" looking back at Sodom.)  I know, it sounds like I have a grand plan to write novels based on little-known women of the Bible, but here's how it happened:  One  of the guys I work with (and tends toward the sarcastic) out of nowhere one day, cut his eyes sideways at me, and said, "Noah's wife, eh? What's next, Lot's wife?"  My first reaction: No way!  Sodom and Gomorrah?  Too dark.  But, as the days passed, I found myself thinking about how I would do it, until I just sat down and wrote the first sentence—

 "If the path of obedience is the path of wisdom, it is one not well-worn by my feet.  I am Yildeth, daughter of the caravan, daughter of the wind, and daughter of the famed merchant, Zakiti. That I am his daughter, not his son, is a secret between myself and my father.  This is a fine arrangement, as I prefer the freedoms of being a boy."

And then one word kept following the next!

7. What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

The only way to ensure failure is to quit trying.  Rejection is hard, but you have to endure a great deal of it.  If you are like me, each time will hurt, but pick yourself up out of that hole and start typing.  Oh, and always put an ending on your stories!


Thank you Mrs. Thorne for taking the time to do the interview.

Please visit Mrs. Thorne at her website or click the amazon picture below to purchase her book. Thank you.

Blogging at www.tkthorne.wordpress.com 

Free Book Giveway of "Noah's Wife" ends March 30, 2011, midnight. One winner randomly selected by random.org


10 comments:

  1. enjoyed reading your reviews. we have same theme pic, following on netblog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sidne,The BCR. I love your blog. We do have the same thing. I'm sure we can network and I look forward to that. Thank you kindly for following me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I've had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Thorne, and she's one of the "good guys" in the writing game. Her next project sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Hank. She is a wonderful person. A delight to meet in person as well. Her next book indeed sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the interview. Gave me a better understanding of T.K. Thorne's motivation for combining history (ancient) and fiction together.....I love how she writes,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do too DH. She did a great job in achieving such a great balance of history and fiction. I really enjoyed her book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed the interview ! Very interesting concept to use a biblical character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this sounds like a very powerful story! I enjoy anything historical and family oriented! Great interview, Lena! And some great advise from the writer Mr. Thorne! Best wishes to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you EvangelistCookie, I thought the same thing. Historical fiction with family orientation, can't beat it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lena's Ramblings

My photo
I am a writer, filmmaker, wife and a mom of five beautiful, intelligent, quirky kids. This blog is for writers, aspiring writers, filmmakers and movie lovers. Bringing you my favorite books, films and photos, as well as giveaways and updates on my journey. I'm currently in the process of producing my first short film from my collection of short stories titled, If I Had My Way. The first story to be filmed will be Tandarin Drive. My award winning book, If I Had My Way, is available now. You can purchase a copy at Amazon.com and BN.com. You may contact me via email at: blog@lenasledge.com

Join My Other Fantabulous Followers!

If I Had My Way

If I Had My Way
Available Now! Please Get Your Copy Today!

Popular Posts

Blogs I Love and Frequently Read